Sunday, May 27, 2007

Our Beautiful Maeve!!!


Words cannot explain the joy we feel today! We FINALLY have our beautiful, smiley Maeve in our arms!


After arriving in the absolutely crazy city of Chongqing (it's the largest city not only in China, but also in the world...32 million people!!), we had just one hour to do more paper work and get ready for the babies! We were all rushing around in a state of delerium.


After the paper work was finished, we were told to go back to our rooms, wait for our luggage to arrive, and then come back to the conference room. Well, Dave and one of the other dads headed for the lobby with their camcorders and cameras to catch the girls arriving. Dave took one look at a sweet baby being carried in by an older gentleman and said to the other dad, "That's my daughter!" He could tell it was her right away because she has Collin's chin and Brennen's big smile.


Dave called me immediately from the lobby and said, "They're here!" Unfortunately, our luggage was the last to be delivered, so I was still gathering up a few things. Needless to say, I was in panic mode and just about stopped breathing! (I know that is difficult for most of you to imagine). The next thing I know, my dear husband was walking through our hotel room door to help...I think the dead silence on the other end of the receiver followed by a slam tipped him off that I was about to lose it!


We finished getting our things together and headed for the conference room. When we walked in, all of the girls were in the room already waiting for their moms and dads! Maeve was the first baby I saw and my heart about stopped. She is such a beautiful baby and I knew it was her the minute I laid eyes on her. I said, "Nihao, You You" and she looked at me and gave me the biggest smile Dave and I have ever seen. At last we were looking at our Maeve.


Once all of the parents arrived, we were one by one joined with our daughters. Everyone in the room had to let out a laugh and an, "Awwww", because when I took Maeve in my arms, she looked me right in the eyes and gave me the sweetest smile, as if to say, "It's going to be okay, Mom."


After going back to our room, Maeve continued to amaze us with her giggles and smiles. Then, she took a bottle and fell asleep. I have a feeling that when she wakes up, the smiles will be gone for awhile. But that's okay. We'll see that sweet smile again before we know it.


What an amazing day. Though God may give us our children in different ways, the moment you hold that child in your arms for the first time feels the same...amazing and indescribable. Life doesn't get much better than this.


For more pictures of our day, click on the "More China Pictures" link and then on the "China Day 3" folder.

9 comments:

John, Cristi, Leah, Lauren & Kate said...

AAAAHHHHHH - Maeve is so beautiful!! Thank you for posting the pictures so quickly! We absolutely love seeing them. She is just beautiful and her smile reminds me of Lauren! Lauren actually said, "I want to go see Miss Cathy & Maeve" when she was looking at the pictures with us! We reminded her that you were in China and she said, "that's OK" like...let's just go there! :) Praise God that Maeve is with you now - what a blessing she will be in your life! She's a beauty!

Love, Cristi

Anonymous said...

Dear Mom and Dad,

Maeve is so cute! We can't wait to see Maeve. We love the pictures. We miss you!

Love,
Collin and Brennen

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

What a day! Maeve is just beautiful and the boys recognized that she had more than 2 teeth! We looked at the pictures several times. Congratulations on your long wait for Maeve. It was definately worth it!

I don't know how the last post deleted? I am new to this!

Johnna said...

Congratulations O'Keeffe's! Maeve is beautiful! We are thrilled for you! Hope the transition continues to go so well. Cannot wait to meet her!

Anonymous said...

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!! WE ARE THRILLED FOR YOU ALL. CAN'T WAIT TO HAVE YOU HOME . THE BOYS ARE BEING AWESOME. ENJOY GETTING TO KNOW MAEVE AND CHINA. kEEP SENDING PICTURES!!

Anonymous said...

I believe I am speechless! I stated to Mike before bed last night that "today was Maeve day" and was still shocked to see her in Cathy's arms! There she was after talking about her for sooo long! Could she be any more beautiful???? I'm not sure who is luckier - Maeve or the O'Keeffe family? Which is harder - the wait for the referral OR the wait after the referral before traveling? CORRECT answer - the wait your family and friends must now endure until you arrive home on the 8th!!
Can't wait to read tomorrow's blog!
Hugs and kisses to Maeve!
Jen and boys

big brothers production said...

Wow, it was wonderful to see Maeve in your arms. You both have waited so long for her and now she is forever in your family. What a miracle! We are so so happy for you! Mark, Amy, and Jack

Dolly Lolly said...

I got to your blog by clicking "Next Blog" a few times and I just want to extend a heartfelt congratulations on your new daughter...I'm a mother of 4 and was nearly moved to tears reading your account, I pray G-d will richly bless your lives continuously.