Saturday, May 26, 2007

China Day 2



Our second full day in Beijing was quite the adventure. After our orientation meeting with Holt (at which we received updated photos of Maeve and she still has that beautiful big smile, only now with two teeth!), we set off for Tian An Men Square. I had to pinch myself that I was actually standing there! It's bigger and more impressive than pictures show. Chairman Mao's mosoleum is closed for renovations, so we couldn't go inside. However, just being there was very surreal. It was also fun to see the countdown clock to the olympics just across the street. Everyone in China is so honored and excited to be hosting the next olympics.


Afterwards, we went to the Temple of Heaven, which is where the emperors would go to pray and offer sacrifices. It is probably one of the most beautiful sights in all of Beijing.


Next, we went to the Pearl Market. I had to convince everyone in our group to go there after the Temple of Heaven so that our driver would take us there and wait for us. It didn't take much convincing and we had a blast! I haven't gotten to bargain like that since we lived in Turkey! Needless to say, after just two days, I have a reputation as the resident shopper of our group! It helps to have good friends who told me ahead of time exactly where to shop!


We ended our day with a stroll through "Snack Street." Let's just say that if the visuals didn't put you over the edge, the smell did! Of course, if your idea of a snack is scorpions, beetles, silk worms, or sparrow on a stick, then this would be the perfect place! To see more pictures from our day, you can click on the link to the top right that is entitled, "More China Pictures" and then click on the folder labeled, "China Day 2."

We are now less than 24 hours from holding our sweet Maeve. It's hard to believe, but the next time I post a message, it will be with Maeve by my side. Okay, now my stomach is in knots. I'm not going to sleep a wink. Where's my Tylenol PM?

2 comments:

sue lynch said...

Dave and Cathy,

We are having so much fun reading each day about your wait for Maeve. We can't wait to see your next entry with the pictures of your daughter! Enjoy your time and thanks for letting us as well as the rest of the family and all your friends be a part of this wonderful journey!

Sue and Dave

P.S. The boys are doing great! They are keeping very busy. Dave and I are taking 6 kids to the movies this afternoon! Popcorn for everyone! Too bad they don't serve scorpions on a stick!

Anonymous said...

Hello this is Kevin I don't think I'll try the scorpion or the yummy grasshopper on a stick. It makes me sick when I just look at it. Did you try it? I hope not Bye Bye