Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Tastes Like...Popcorn!

Last night was our biggest adventure in China so far. The boys were bound and determined to visit the Night Market, a.k.a. "Snack Street", and eat something "weird", like scorpion on a stick. Well, after walking past vendor after vendor, selling silk worms, crickets, starfish and snake, we came across a variety of scorpions! Our choice? Purchase one huge black scorpion on a stick, or three little tiny scorpions on a stick. We chose the latter. For the equivalent of 2 US dollars, we were about to embark on a culinary adventure of a lifetime!


The big question...who is going first? Dave volunteered, with no objections from the rest of us. After putting an entire deep fried scorpion in his mouth, the boys and I were dying for the verdict. What did it taste like? Nope, not chicken. It tasted like popcorn! Really? Okay, now I had to try it. I wasn't as brave as Dave, so I just bit into a couple of legs. Yep! Tastes like popcorn!



The boys were next. Collin (who was the most convinced that he was going to someday eat scorpion on a stick) wasn't so sure he was ready for a bite. So Brennen yelled, "I'll do it!" And he grabbed the stick and dug in. We then received confirmation yet again that scorpions taste like popcorn. With that, Collin gained some courage and finished off the last scorpion. It was unanimous...they taste like popcorn. Light, crunchy and a little buttery (thanks to the deep fryer).

So there you have it. Team O'Keeffe showed Andrew Zimmern that he's not the only one who is willing to eat the weird foods of this world (check out his show...it's fabulous). Dave and I were very proud of the boys for being so daring and willing to "Do as the Romans." However, I think tonight we'll settle for Pizza Hut.

7 comments:

davgfdl said...

Great job guys! Ian isn't quite sure he'd be as adventerous, but Bill is quite envious. Will you ever be able to sit in a movie theatre and eat popcorn without remembering scorpions?!

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Great job u guys!!!!!! i really didnt think u would fo it but i guess u did!!






Kevin

Unknown said...

Hey, Collin and Brennen, Great job on eating scorpion. Next you will probably want to try the silkworms.
Love,
Grandpa Dan

Aunt Barb said...

I am so surprise you all tried scorpion! However, I do love popcorn, so...maybe...yikes...I don't think so!
My broken leg is healing. I may be walking by Thanksgiving. It has been a long time. I am so amazed at how well you are all getting by in China. What a wonderful experience for all of lyou

Unknown said...

Dear Brennen and Collin,

Scorpions! We can't believe you ate scorpions! Christopher says he wuold never eat a scorpion! Kelly wouldn't even take one little bite! You both are brave. We now know that the scorpions taste like popcorn, but how was the pizza?

Sabine said...

Dear Dave and family!
I haven´t heard for a long time from the whole O´Keeffe family, so I just checked your "Three little pumpkin"- blog and was very astonished...What do I have to read??? I feel so happy for you that you have again the chance to experience Maeves country of birth. As we were also expatriates
in Asia and now in Italy since 2 years I can imagine what you go through right now exactly. Enjoy the time in a different country, with a different culture, different people, ecc.-it lightens up your life to make these experiences. Also for the boys it´s an experience to dig in a total different world....I´m so happy for you. Please, when you are settled down in your own home, send me an e-mail to keep in touch. I´ll keep my fingers crossed for you,
yours SABINE (from Germany/Munich)

Sabine said...

Dear Dave and family!
I haven´t heard for a long time from the whole O´Keeffe family, so I just checked your "Three little pumpkin"- blog and was very astonished...What do I have to read??? I feel so happy for you that you have again the chance to experience Maeves country of birth. As we were also expatriates
in Asia and now in Italy since 2 years I can imagine what you go through right now exactly. Enjoy the time in a different country, with a different culture, different people, ecc.-it lightens up your life to make these experiences. Also for the boys it´s an experience to dig in a total different world....I´m so happy for you. Please, when you are settled down in your own home, send me an e-mail to keep in touch. I´ll keep my fingers crossed for you,
yours SABINE (from Germany/Munich)